New classes begin every 6 months in January and July.
Applications open January 15th and close August 1st. Interviews will be held in September for the selection of students.
All applicants who apply and meet the minimum requirements (see below) will be invited for an interview. For each class, we are able to accept a maximum of 8 students.
Please note that ALL application materials must be received by the deadline or we will not be able to consider the application for that cycle.
It is required that all applicants observe in person a minimum of one open-heart surgery procedure.
- Applications: Applications will open again on January 15th.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $150 to be paid online or via check or money order. This must be sent via postal mail.
THI School of Perfusion
6770 Bertner Avenue MC 1-224
Houston, Texas 77030
- Photo: We required a passport-sized photo (2 inches by 2 inches) for identification purposes. This must be sent in via postal mail. These photos can be easily obtained at Walgreens, CVS, and many other locations that offer photo printing.
- Transcripts: We accept both traditional and secure official electronic transcripts. Traditional transcripts must be sent directly from the college/university to us in an official sealed envelope.
- Letters of Reference: Must be sent via email (only) as PDF attachments directly from the referrer to our school. Letters of reference sent via email must include the Reference Request Form included with the Application Packet.
Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. The degree must be awarded and visible on an applicant’s transcript at the time of application. An applicant must have achieved a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale. To calculate a cumulative GPA, all hours attempted and points awarded are used with the exception of pass/fail courses and those courses from which a student has officially withdrawn. Some universities exclude the points and or hours from courses that have been repeated. In order to make a fair comparison of applicants, calculations must be standardized and therefore these courses are re-included when calculating cumulative GPA. The total number of points awarded is divided by the total number of hours.
The following courses are required and must be completed with a letter grade of C or better:
- 8 hours (or 2 classes) – Chemistry (with lab)
- 8 hours (or 2 classes) – Biology (with lab)
- 6 hours (or 2 classes) – Human Anatomy and Physiology
- 3 hours (or 1 class) – Physics
- 3 hours (or 1 class) – College Algebra (or higher-level math)
- 3 hours (or 1 class) – Statistics
Applicants for The Texas Heart Institute School of Perfusion must be United States citizens or permanent residents and able to provide acceptable documentation with their application. Proof of Citizenship can be in the form of a color copy of a birth certificate or a color copy of a valid US Passport. Permanent Residents must provide a color copy of their Permanent Resident Card(I-551).
Applicants should research licensure for states they may consider for employment after graduation. Graduates from a post-baccalaureate certificate perfusion program cannot apply for a perfusion license in the state of New York.
HEALTH REQUIREMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Students will be in contact with patients who have various diseases. It is, therefore, imperative that students be in good health and be properly immunized. Students are required to have a physical examination prior to the beginning of the perfusion program. Proof from your physician of good health must be submitted prior to the first day of class.
All students are required to have:
Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR)
Dates for (2) MMR doses [at least 28 days apart] OR positive titers for each pathogen
Tetanus, Diphtheria, & Pertussis (Tdap)
Date for vaccination (good for 10 years)
Varicella (Chicken Pox)
Dates for (2) varicella vaccine doses [at least 28 days apart] OR positive titer
TB test within 90 days of Work application OR TB test/screening (good for one year) & TB
Date for flu vaccination (good for one year)
Date for covid vaccination (copy of vaccination record required)
Exceptions will be made for medical contraindications and religious beliefs.
Religious and medical exemptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Hepatitis B (HBV)
Dates for (3) HBV vaccine doses OR positive titer
All applicants are required to have:
“Pass” for 12-panel drug screen within 30 days of employment OR administered by an accredited testing agency for the Workday application.
Protection of students from exposure to communicable/infectious diseases in the clinical environment cannot be guaranteed.