Dr. Stephanie Coulter is a long-time advocate of women’s health and promotes the development of diagnostic tools; treatments and prevention strategies that can improve cardiovascular care for women. Show full bio
Dr. Coulter is an active member of the volunteer leadership at the Texas Heart Institute (THI) serving as the founding Director of the Women’s Center for Heart & Vascular Health, the Director of Cardiology Education, and the Program Director of the THI Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. She also serves as the Associate Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology at CHI Health—Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center (BSLMC). She is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine section of Cardiology at Baylor College of Medicine and member of many professional societies, including the American Heart Association.
Since the launch of the Women’s Center in 2010, Dr. Coulter has been interested in investigating the roles biology; psychology and lifestyle play in putting a woman at risk for heart disease. To better understand the racial disparity in the development of cardiovascular disease within Harris County a database registry was established in correlation with her Houston HeartReach community outreach-screening program first developed and piloted in 2011. The Women’s Center has grown substantially and announced a new research and training collaboration in January 2017 where they will conduct highly focused research and training on women’s vascular health and diseases including women’s heart failure. This unparalleled research and training program will unite top physician- researchers across the Texas Medical Center including colleagues at the UT School of Public Health, Baylor College of Medicine, and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School.
Most importantly, Dr. Coulter believes our community is the environment that defines our lives and carries this belief into her work her at THI every day. She educates women and primary care physicians about risk factors and provides interventions that can prevent disease or decrease risks. Her newsletters “Straight Talk from Stephanie,” addresses current topics related to women and heart disease and are aimed to separate fact from fiction. Dr. Coulter is a featured speaker at many women’s and community groups and has been featured in various news media. She is married with two lovely daughters and a very active member of our community.
Texas Heart Institute Positions
Texas A&M University
University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Beth Israel Hospital
Beth Israel Hospital
Hospital (Clinical and Research Fellow in Echocardiography)
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Clinical Research Fellow in Medicine—Thrombolysis in Myocardial
Infarction Group (TIMI)
Academic & Clinical Affiliations
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Disease
- Nuclear Certification
- National Board of Echocardiography
Honors, Awards and Memberships
- Member, American Heart Association
- Member, THI Cardiac Society (President 2008, Vice President 2007)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Charitable Foundation of Houston, Grant Recipient ( 2014, 2017)
- Robert J Hall, MD CVD Teaching Award (2017)
- Fellow, American Society of Echocariagraphy
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Alpha Phi Foundation, Heart to Heart Grant Recipient 2014
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation of Houston biannual holiday Pilgrimage Home Tour Inaugural Honoree
- Kathryn S. Stream Award for Excellence in Women’s Health Finalist
- Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Award
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Internal Medicine
- Texas Super Doctor by Texas Monthly Magazine (2006 - Present)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
February is American Heart Month, and each year there are a number of events and activities that Texas Heart Institute...
January 2, 2019 | The Mediterranean diet received Best Overall Diet and Best Heart-Healthy Diet in the 2019 US News & World...
Houston, TX (December 13, 2018) – The Texas Heart Institute announced Keri Sprung has been named Director of Communications. Sprung brings to...