Dr. Hernandez is the President of the Texas Heart Medical Group and serves on the Medical Executive Committee of the Texas Heart Institute overseeing the Professional Staff. He is involved in progressive clinical research, participating in numerous clinical trials in both coronary and peripheral vascular disease, antiplatelet therapy, and antithrombotic therapy. Show full bio
Dr. Eduardo Hernandez has been a practicing cardiologist since 2000. He completed his medical training at the University of Puerto Rico. He then completed internship and residency training at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, followed by fellowships in Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology and Advanced Peripheral Vascular interventions at Baylor College of Medicine’s St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital / Texas Heart Institute where he was elected to serve as the chief fellow.
In his clinical practice, he specializes in coronary and peripheral arterial disease – as well as venous disease – focusing on both medical and interventional management and he is the current Medical Director at the Diagnostic Heart Center of St. Luke’s.
Dr. Hernandez has been recognized by numerous national organizations since graduating from his fellowship including Texas Monthly, Bridges to Excellence, the Heart/Stroke Recognition Program, and the Patient’s Choice Award.
He is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, active member of the International Society of Endovascular Specialists, and past President of the Texas Heart Cardiac Society.
Texas Heart Institute Positions
- President, Texas Heart Medical Group
- Interventional Cardiology, Texas Heart Medical Group
- Medical Executive Committee, THI Professional Staff
- Teaching Staff, Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship
- Teaching Staff, Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
- Center for Women's Heart & Vascular Health, Speakers Bureau
- Interventional Cardiology
University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Alabama at Birmingham
St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital/Texas Heart Institute
Cardiology/Interventional Cardiology and Advanced Peripheral Interventions
Academic & Clinical Affiliations
- Texas Heart Medical Group
- Diagnostic Heart Center of St. Luke’s
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Methodist Hospital
- Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center Hospital
- Editorial Board, Austin Journal of Women’s Health
- Peer Review Board, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions
Honors, Awards and Memberships
- Texas Heart Institute Professional Staff
- Medical Director, Diagnostic Heart Center of St. Luke’s
- Board of Directors, Cardiovascular Care Providers
- President, Texas Heart Institute Cardiac Society (2006, 2015 - 2017)
- Vice President, Texas Heart Institute Cardiac Society (2005, 2014)
- Texas Super Doctor, Texas Monthly Magazine (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Houstonia Magazine Top Docs
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Vitals Patient’s Choice Award, Compassionate Doctor Award, On-time Doctor Award
- Texas Super Doctor Hall of Fame
- Healthgrades Honor Roll
- Consumers’ Research Council of America. Guide to America’s Top Cardiologists (2010)
- Medical Director, Diagnostic Heart Center (2011)
- Heart/Stroke Recognition Program National Committee for Quality Assurance (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Chief Interventional Fellow, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital/Texas Heart Institute (1999)
- Natural Sciences Scholarship (Top 100 students entering Natural Science
The Texas Heart Institute-owned Texas Heart Medical Group is using technology, data, and wearables, to facilitate value-based care, and improve...
On April 8, the Texas Heart Medical Group honored Rebecca (Becky) Hazzard by celebrating her recent retirement from the practice. ...
Texas Monthly’s annual SUPER DOCTORS® list is out on the newsstands this month and honors professionals who are recognized by...