About the Fellowship
The Denton A. Cooley Fellowship, which began in 2018, provides an educational experience for North American cardiothoracic surgeons who are in their final year of residency or have recently completed their residency. The fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Foundation as part of the Honoring Our Mentors Fellowship Program.
The selected fellow spends up to four weeks studying at Texas Heart Institute (THI) and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center (BSLMC), learning from our team of world-renowned physicians and researchers.
Eligible applicants must be in their final year of thoracic surgery residency or have completed his/her residency within the past two years. If the candidate who is selected has a valid license from the Texas Medical Board, he/she may participate actively with our CV Surgery Faculty during time spent at Texas Heart Institute/Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. In the absence of such licensure, the selected candidate will participate as an observer with our service.
The deadline to submit an application for the fellowship is December 1 of each year. All applications must be submitted to AATS Foundation.
In addition to a formal online application, candidates will be required to provide:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from current attending surgeon or future department chair/division chief
- 1-2 page narrative that addresses:
- What they hope to accomplish during their fellowship
- How they will utilize the skills they have learned at their home institution
- Relationship of planned study to their prior experience, preparation and professional goals
- Statement of future career goals
The AATS Foundation’s Fellowship Review Committee will review all applications and notify candidates of final decisions within 45 days of the application deadline.