About the Fellowship
The Congenital Cardiac Surgery Fellowship Program is a 12-month ACGME accredited educational program. The fellowship is designed and organized to educate in the basic anatomy and physiology of the majority of congenital cardiac lesions, and to provide the fellow with a basis of surgical technical proficiency for common, uncomplicated congenital heart defects.
Fellows participate in all aspects of the assessment, management plan formulation, surgery, and perioperative care of children and adults with complex congenital heart disease, as well as participate in our active pediatric cardiothoracic transplant and assist device programs. All rotations will be at Texas Children’s Hospital under the direction and supervision of the Program Director, Charles D. Fraser, Jr., MD.
Applicants must have successfully completed a residency program in thoracic surgery accredited by the ACGME or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This Congenital Cardiac Surgery Fellowship will play a significant role in preparing the fellow for the American Board of Thoracic Surgery Congenital Heart Surgery Subspecialty Certification.
All applications and supporting documentation must be received by the program administrator on or before December 1 each year, to allow adequate time for review and processing. The selection of applicants is at the discretion of the Program Director, and are based on demonstrated commitment to the field of pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Applicants who are considered competitive for appointment are offered a position with a start date of July 1.
The following documentation is required when applying:
- Baylor House Staff Application
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Submission of a professional headshot – Send via email (preferably .jpg format)
- Document to establish identity – one (1) picture ID
- Three (3) professional reference letters (should be current, within past six months)
- Medical School Transcript (in English and original language where applicable). This must be copied and notarized, stating that the submission is a true copy of the original.
- Three (3) true copies (notarized) of Medical School Diploma (Dean’s Verification of Pending Graduation acceptable only for those anticipating graduation. Dean’s verification must be original document, copies are NOT acceptable.)
- True copy (notarized) of Prior Residency / Fellowship Training Diploma (Director’s Verification Letter of Pending Graduation is acceptable only for those anticipating graduation from a residency program.)
This program does not provide the necessary elements to qualify to take the special examination for the certificate of competency given by the American Board of Surgery. However, a certificate indicating the candidate has satisfactorily completed a year of fellowship is provided.
Charles D. Fraser, Jr., MD and Carlos M. Mery, MD
For any questions regarding the Congenital Cardiac Surgery Fellowship program, please contact the Program Administrator, Lesa M. Porterfield.
Texas Children’s Hospital
6621 Fannin, MC Wt19345H
Houston, TX 77030