Dr. Joseph Lamelas is passionate about minimally invasive surgery and education and involved in training surgeons from across the United States and abroad in advanced and innovative surgical techniques. Completing more than 14,000 cardiac surgical operations in his career, he has played a significant role in advancing the field of minimally invasive cardiac surgery and has trained more than 700 physicians from around the world in this approach over the last 12 years. Show full bio
Dr. Joseph Lamelas moved to the Texas Medical Center in 2017 and is committed to pursuing his goal of continuing the legacy and long standing excellence in reputation for Cardiac Surgery Baylor College of Medicine, Baylor St. Luke’s Hospital, and the Texas Heart Institute have upheld since the founding of world renowned Houstonians, Dr. Denton Cooley and Michael E. DeBakey founding.
Dr. Lamelas’s practice is predominantly Cardiac Surgery and he offers patients every Cardiac Surgical approach available as well as the latest state of the art techniques.
He has developed techniques to facilitate minimally invasive approaches for repairing aortic valve surgery, mitral valve surgery, double and triple valve surgery and awarded three patents. His contributions to the field also include development of techniques to facilitate minimally invasive approaches for repairing simple congenital cardiac defects and removal of cardiac tumors and development of new techniques to replace the ascending aorta without splitting the sternum.
He also pioneered a hybrid approach of percutaneous coronary intervention followed by minimally invasive valve surgery in patients with coronary and valvular disease.
Texas Heart Institute Positions
- Teaching Staff, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Thoracic Surgery Residency
Universidad Central del Este
The Brooklyn – Caledonian Hospitals
University Hospital SUNY Health Science Center
- Board Certified- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Board Certified- American Board of Surgery
- Critical Care Certification- American Board of Surgery
Honors, Awards and Memberships
- President, Cuban Surgical Society (01/1999 - 12/2002)
- Active Member, The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Member, The International Society for Minimally Invasive Surgery (09/2006 - present)
- Member, European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (10/2013 - present)
- Member, Eastern Cardiothoracic Surgical Society (10/2013 - present)
- Legislative Policy Committee Member, Florida Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons (01/2009 - 12/2010)
- Honorary Member, Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland (03/2016 - present)
- Member, American Association of Thoracic Surgeons (01/2017 - present)