On Saturday October 13th, Texas Heart Institute employees will join the amazing author and cyclist, Ron Bass, on a wonderful historic bike tour to learn about our rich Houston culture. The tour is a slow-paced, sightseeing-style, bike ride through the Medical Center and Rice University filled with many stops to discuss cultural, historic and artistic attractions and landmarks.
For 31 years, Ron worked with Shell Oil and ExxonMobil in research programs, E&P project management, refining, chemical and transportation after receiving his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1969. He holds 49 patents as inventor or co-inventor.
For the past 7 years, he has organized Historic bike tours. He is the author of the remarkable book, “Cycling Inside the Loop” that explores every aspect of Houston’s history as seen from a bicycle, its major industries, and the men and women that made it all happen.
Meeting Location: Houston “Bcycle” bike rack across from THI Denton A. Cooley Building bear Garage 2.
Duration: Total distance about 4 miles, about 2 hours, including a snack stop at the Brockstein Pavilion at Rice University, near the end of the ride, coffee, pastries, food available.
Open to all THI Employees, Professional Staff, Students, Fellows & Residents.
If you have any questions leading up the event, please contact Franklina Tsiboe or Samantha Reho.
All THI employees can now receive $5/month discounted memberships to Houston BCycle. If you don’t want to worry about renewing the membership manually each month, simply select the Annual option.
Houston members can take unlimited 60-minute rides throughout the entire network. Here’s how to sign up:
1. Visit the Houston BCycle website and see how the system works.
2. Click “Join/Login” when you’re ready to sign up.
3. Pick either an Annual or Monthly Membership.
4. Use code THI1 for a $60 Annual Membership or THI2 for a $5 Monthly Membership.
5. Use your @texasheart.org email to sign up. Otherwise, the discount won’t work.
6. You’re ready to ride. We recommend downloading the BCycle app for the easiest method of checking out bikes. The app will also track your trip and health history.
Happy riding! Thanks for supporting sustainable, healthy, and FUN travel in Houston. If you have any questions about signing up for your membership, email email@example.com.