Directors and Scientists
The Cullen Cardiovascular Research Laboratories are dedicated to the continuous expansion of the frontiers of medical knowledge and to the development of new ways to repair and replace diseased organs to enhance and extend life.
The Laboratories have extensive experience in mechanical circulatory support devices. In fact, Texas Heart Institute has been involved in the development of nearly every device in use today. To learn more about our experience with heart assist devices, click here.
The Laboratories have been involved in the design, development, and testing of
- Artificial hearts
- Circulatory/ventricular assist systems
- Site specific heart valves
(mechanical and bioprosthetic)
- Vascular grafts
- Myocardial revascularization techniques
- Catheter systems
- Pacemakers and pacing leads
- Cardiopulmonary bypass components
- Stents and occlusion devices
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Autotransfusion systems
- Biocompatibility and hemocompatibility of prosthetic surfaces
- Hemolysis in prosthetic devices
- Cell seeding/tissue engineering
- Animal models
Listed below are a few of the companies and agencies that have collaborated with the Cullen Cardiovascular Research Laboratories.
- Abiomed, Inc.
- Edwards Lifesciences
- HeartWare, Inc.
- Jarvik Heart
- Johnson & Johnson Interventional Systems
- Levitronix, Inc.
- Medtronic, Inc.
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- Orqis Medical
- St. Jude Medical, Inc.
- Thoratec, Inc.
- Triflo Medical, Inc.
- U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- Whalen Biomedical Laboratories
Contact information: CVSR@heart.thi.tmc.edu or 832-355-3121.