What To Bake
Dark Chocolate Mousse
For those who bake, try these healthier versions of dark chocolate mousse and strawberry short cake —these recipes are lower in calories, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sugar. Remember to watch your serving size!
- 1/4 lb. dark chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over but not touching barely simmering water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until the chocolate melts, about 2 minutes
- Add the butter and continue to stir until the butter melts and is incorporated.
- Separate 1 egg, placing the white in a large bowl and adding the yolk to the chocolate. Quickly whisk in the yolk, fully incorporating it. Repeat with the remaining 2 eggs.
- Remove the bowl from over the saucepan and let cool to lukewarm.
- Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed; beat the whites until stiff peaks form, then beat in the confectioners' sugar until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, being careful not to deflate the whites.
- Spoon the mixture into a large bowl or individual ramekins. Cover and refrigerate until very firm, at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. Garnish with white chocolate shavings or fresh raspberries. Serve well chilled. Serves 5.
Amount Per Serving: Calories 228.3/ Total Fat 17.0g/ Saturated Fat 10.1g/ Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9g/Monounsaturated Fat 3.1g/Cholesterol 130.3mg/Sodium 51.5mg/Potassium 43.6mg/Total Carbohydrate 17.6g/Dietary Fiber 1.6g/Sugars 14.2g/Protein 3.9
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 10 oz raspberry purée or raspberry preserve
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2/3 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place wonton wrappers in a single layer on a large baking pan. Brush both sides of each wrapper with the oil.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let the wrappers cool for 10 minutes.
- Put raspberry purée or preserve and sugar in sauce pan over medium until warm and sugar is dissolved.
- Place 1 wonton wrapper on each plate. Sprinkle some strawberries and
blueberries over each wonton wrapper. Then drizzle 1 teaspoon of
- Repeat with another layer of wonton wrappers and
some more strawberries & blueberries. Drizzle another teaspoon of
- Top each with last wonton wrapper.
- Sprinkle tops with the confectioners' sugar.