For example, medicines can help:
- Control blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Adjust the rate or rhythm of your heartbeat
- Stop platelets (blood cells) from forming blood clots
- Keep arteries free from blockage
- Relieve the pain of angina (chest pain)
- Lower the amount of salt and water in your body
- Strengthen your heart's contractions
- Reduce pain and inflammation
- And more . . .
To learn more about how your heart medicine works, why you need to take it, common brand names, and possible side effects, find the right topic in the section on Cardiovascular Medications.
The medicines information has been taken from a number of sources. It is meant to give you information about certain medicines, but it does not cover all of the possible uses, warnings, side effects, or interactions with other medicines and vitamin or herbal supplements. This information should not be used as medical advice for individual problems. Please talk to your doctor and/or your pharmacist for prescription instructions.