Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Will you answer my questions about Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, please?

Re: Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy in Women
My mother was finally diagnosed with this condition after a trip and a week in the hospital. She had a cardiac cath and was told that everything was clear and she could go home. The following week, the exact same symptoms occurred and she passed away at home at the age of 73.

The information that I have been able to gather has lead me to believe that further research is being done on this syndrome.

Since she already had known CAD, was the probability of her succumbing to this syndrome increased or perhaps the "TIA's" and SOB were actually symptoms of this syndrome?

I guess the other question would be would my siblings (I am a female age 50) and I be at additional cardiovascular risk (other than the usual) because of this? I have not seen any information regarding any possible genetic correlation. Thank you. 

submitted by L K from Houston, Texas on 6/12/2014


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Michael J. Mihalick, MD  

Michael J. Mihalick, MDDear L.K.,
I'm sorry about what happened to your mother. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy is a condition from which one usually recovers. However there are published reports of sudden death during the acute phase especially if there is a repeated episode of stress. If your mother had superimposed coronary disease, I assume this would further increase the risk.

The TIA's were more likely a manifestation of atherosclerotic disease in the arteries supplying the brain, and are probably not related to the Takotsubo syndrome.

As far as you are concerned, controlling risk factors for coronary artery disease will minimize your risk. Sincerely.

See also on this site:       

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated June 2014
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.