Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


What should I do about bilateral apical pleural thickening?

My lung x-ray reveals a minimal, bilateral apical pleural thickening and atheromatous aorta, however, my ECG is normal. Should I be alarmed and seek medical help from a cardiologist?

Thank you and more power! 

submitted by Gina from Philippines on 6/2/2014


by Texas Heart Institute cardiovascular surgeon, Denton A. Cooley, MD  Denton A. Cooley, MD, FACS, FACC, FCCP

Thickening of the apical pleura may be a result of several conditions, mostly benign.  Without further information about your age and medical history, I am unable to be more specific.  I suggest that you see a qualified physician for an opinion.  

See also on this site: 

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated June 2014
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.