Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Is there any new treatment for long QT syndrome?

I have long QT and very low blood pressure. My doctor just put me on carvedilol and pacerone. My doctor attempted an ablation but was unable. I have had an ICD for about 14 years. Is there any new treatment? My doctor said my problem was in the lower part of my heart. PLEASE - any suggestions.

submitted by Mary from Mobile, Alabama on 5/20/2014


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Mohammad Saeed, MD  

Mohammad Saeed, MDIf you have a rhythm problem arising from the lower chamber, it is most likely ventricular tachycardia. Treatment of ventricular tachycardia depends upon presence or absence of underlying structural heart disease. Based on the fact that your doctor has placed you on pacerone and you have an ICD, most likely you have some degree of heart dysfunction. In this circumstance, your options include medications, ICD and catheter ablation. It seems like your doctor has already tried all these modalities.

Editor's Note:
A second opinion from an EP specialist may be helpful.

See also on this site:       

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated May 2014
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.