Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Can a man have a problem with his heart that doesn't show up on a nuclear stress test?

The reason I ask is because about 3 weeks ago in the middle of the night, I had pain and pressure in my chest, left arm and the left side of my neck and face. I know I should have gone to the ER but all I did was chew two low dose aspirin. I finally went to my family doctor three days later. Because of my disability, he did a nuclear stress test. It came back negative. I get short of breath easily and am having chest pain and tightness right now. Any help would be great. 

submitted by Michael from Iowa on 4/27/2014


by Texas Heart Institute cardiovascular surgeon, Denton A. Cooley, MD    

Denton A. Cooley, MDThere are angina-producing conditions which can occur without structural changes in the coronary circulation.  Some are related to spasm in the heart muscle or capillaries.  It is important that you follow up with your physician to discern the origin of your symptoms.     

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?

Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated April 2014
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.