Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


What should I do for my chest pain?

I am 23 yrs old and I am not in the best of shape. I am not obese, but lately I have been having chest pain. EKG and blood work are normal. The chest pain comes with a tearing sensation at the slightest movement. I had an ultrasound of my abdominal aorta 3 yrs ago and all was normal. Can it be possible that this tearing chest pain be an aortic aneurysm? Also, these past few months my blood pressure has been extremely low, approximately 83/38. Is this a major concern?

submitted by Yasmin from McAllen, Texas


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Surendra K. Jain, MD  

Surendra K. Jain, MDYasmin,
The tearing sensation with movement sounds like a musculo-skeletal pain and not aortic aneurysm.  Blood pressure is within normal range for your age.  However, for any chest pains, it is wise to see your doctor.

See also on this site:

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated January 2014
Texas Heart Institute Heart Information Center
Through this community outreach program, staff members of the Texas Heart Institute (THI) provide educational information related to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiovascular disease. It is not the intention of THI to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide users with information to better understand their health and their diagnosed disorders. Specific medical advice will not be provided and THI urges you to visit a qualified physician for diagnosis and for answers to your questions.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1996-2014 Texas Heart Institute.
All rights reserved.
This website is accredited by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. U.S. NEWS America's Best Hospitals 2013-14