Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


I have irregular heartbeats and a mitral valve problem. What can I do?

I am having irregular heartbeats badly. Back in 2012, I was told by one place the mitral valve was back flowing and another valve had an issue. I take pravastatin. Before that, I took gembrozil since 1999, but I have stopped taking that. There seems to be pressure in chest and pain. The other day, I took a calcium score test to see if I was at risk for coronary heart disease. My score number was 8 which was low risk. I was given atenolol by regular doctor which I am scared to take. I have no regular heart doctor and I just got insurance about 4 months ago. What can I do?   

submitted by Daniel from Birmingham, Alabama on 9/17/2013


Mohammad Saeed, MDby Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Mohammad Saeed, MD    

Irregular heart beat could be from many different causes. Leakage of mitral valve is an especially important cause of this. If not properly treated, it may result in future problems. Your best option would be to get evaluated by a cardiologist and get appropriate treatment.     

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?

Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated September 2013
Texas Heart Institute Heart Information Center
Through this community outreach program, staff members of the Texas Heart Institute (THI) provide educational information related to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiovascular disease. It is not the intention of THI to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide users with information to better understand their health and their diagnosed disorders. Specific medical advice will not be provided and THI urges you to visit a qualified physician for diagnosis and for answers to your questions.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1996-2014 Texas Heart Institute.
All rights reserved.
This website is accredited by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. U.S. NEWS America's Best Hospitals 2013-14