Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


What options are available to people who need AVR but have had radiation damage? 

Are there other options for individuals who have severe calcification of the aorta due to radiation damage and who need valve replacement? Is transplantation the only option? 

submitted by Janet from Florence, Kentucky on 9/12/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiovascular surgeon, Denton A. Cooley, MD  

Denton A. Cooley, MD, FACS, FACC, FCCPMany factors are involved in choosing a conventional approach to aortic valve replacement (AVR).  If by the radiation or other reasons the aortic valve is severely obstructed, consideration of a transapical replacement (TAVR) might be the proper choice.

See also on this site:

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated September 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.