Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


How should atrial flutter be managed? 

My husband was hospitalized with A Flutter. They couldn't get it back in rhythm with medicines so they had to shock him.  He is on medicine and blood thinners now. Is this a serious problem? What else can be done to take care of this problem? 

submitted by Juanita from Highlands, Texas on 8/30/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, J. Alberto Lopez, MD    

J. Alberto Lopez, MD Atrial Flutter is a common arrhythmia and catheter ablation is the best treatment. Success rates are very high and the possible complications very small. It is far superior than drugs and should be the recommended therapy.  Have your cardiologist refer you or self refer to an electrophysiologist (arrhythmia specialist) to discuss the options.       

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?

Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated September 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.