Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Are there treatment options for a 62 year old man with severe heart disease?

Are there medical treatments for 62 year old male with severe heart damage with 50 year history of smoking and 2 bypass surgeries?

submitted by Sylvia from McAllen, Texas on 7/1/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Scott R. Sherron, MD  Scott R. Sherron, MD

Yes, there are several medications that can help to control CHF [congestive heart failure] that can occur in the setting you describe.  Also, depending on details, there may be options for treatment with your own stem cells. If appropriate, a biventricular defibrillator can be helpful and is a fairly minor surgery. Finally, of course bigger surgeries such as a heart transplant or implantable mechanical pump can be considered if medications fail.

It's never too late to stop smoking if you haven't already!

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated July 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.