Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Are my symptoms related to Tetralogy of Fallot or GERD? 

Full repair of Tetralogy of Fallot s/p at 6 months and now at 21 yrs of age, moderate to severe pulmonary regurgitation. I am having symptoms but I’m not sure if it’s that or maybe I have GERD. Not sure how to tell the difference?

submitted by Kristina from New York on 3/15/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Roberto Lufschanowski, MD  

Roberto Lufschanowski, MDDear Kristina: Almost every patient with Tetralogy corrected 20 years ago has some pulmonary [valve] regurgitation. The symptoms of GERD are different. It should not be a problem for your doctor to make the distinction.  

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated March 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.