Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Should I consider a different medication for controlling my atrial fibrillation?

I have been on Multaq for two years and my latest Holter monitor said that I am in afib 50% of the time with a top beat of 100bpm. Should I consider a different medication?     

submitted by Joel from New Jersey on 3/10/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Abdi Rasekh, MD  

Abdi Rasekh, MDIf you are in afib 50% of the time, Multaq is not controlling the atrial fibrillation. A different anti-arrhythmic therapy or pulmonary vein ablation are reasonable considerations.  The choice of antiarrythmic therapy depends on the presence or absence of coronary artery disease and the thickness of the heart muscle. Consult with your doctor about the appropriate choice for you.     

See also on this site:   

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated March 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.