Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


How should my 55 year old mother proceed? She has chest pain and arthritis.

My mother has heart pains. She is 55yr old and has arthritis. Her doctor performed an ECG but the report is normal, i.e., there is no problem in heart, but she continues to have pain in the heart. The doctor says something about the appendix or intestine overlapping problem, but they did not take any further tests. Can you advise me or recommend further testing?

submitted by klps122 from India on 2/10/2013


Atasu K. Nayak, MDby Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Atasu Nayak, MD    

Thanks for the question. If she has chest pain, she should see a cardiologist. A stress test to rule out ischemic heart disease is wise. If results of a stress test are normal, medical treatment is appropriate. Please encourage her to consult with a cardiologist for further investigation and treatment. Thanks. 

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated February 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.