Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Is there any procedure which needs to be done for stenosis in my arteries? 

I am 55 yrs old. I just had coronary artery scanning (CAC) which shows my left anterior descending coronary artery with mild irregularities, 30% stenosis in the proximal vessel, and 50% stenosis in the mid-vessel. Is there any procedure which needs to be done in my case? Or can diet or any supplements be used in place of procedures?

submitted by Ming from Los Angeles, California on 1/12/2013


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Scott R. Sherron, MD  Scott R. Sherron, MD

I am assuming that you are describing a CT angio where contrast was given in conjunction with the CT scan. The plaque you describe meets the definition of coronary artery disease and prompts aggressive prevention including daily aspirin, statin with LDL goal of <70, aggressive dietary control and regular exercise. Although none of the supplements have been shown to reduce the incidence of heart attacks, the addition of fish oil/Omega 3 and the use of Co-Q 10 are thought to be potentially helpful. These and any other recommendations of course depend on your specific situation and other medical conditions, and should be discussed with your cardiologist. Generally speaking, any narrowing of less than 70% does not rise to the level of benefiting from revascularization such as a stent or bypass. However, 30 and 50% narrowings can lead to heart attack because a blood clot can form at the site of the plaque, suddenly changing it from 50% to 100%. The above measures will help minimize this risk. Regular screening for progression should be considered, usually with some form of treadmill stress testing. 

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated January 2013
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.