Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Should we seek medical attention in a larger hospital?

My husband is 51 years old and had his first MI at 40 years of age. He then had 2 stents in the LAD, although at that time they had no idea what caused the MI. He had low blood pressure and no plaque. He has been on a cardiac cocktail, has watched his weight, salt and cholesterol intake since then. He started having sob, fatigue and some increased angina about 6 months ago and had an MI at the end of May that caused a spiral tear in the right coronary artery.  He still reportedly has no plaque. His cardiologist told him he is having spasms and actually watched them while repairing the tear with 7 stents.  He has continued having spasms and has been hospitalized two more times since then.  He is now on 1000mg Ranexa twice a day. He is getting very short of breath, with increasing fatigue and angina. He now has increased PVC’s and his blood pressure is rising despite medication. His EF is 38%. We live in a small town and are concerned. Should we be seeking medical attention in a larger hospital?

submitted by Carol from Lake Havasu City, Arizona 11/2/2012


Surendra K. Jain, MDby Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Surendra K. Jain, MD  

Your husband has had a very unfortunate and complex course, with acute MI at age 40 and then recently an RCA dissection - both treated with stents.
With recurrent hospitalization and an EF of 38%, he should and probably is being treated for ischemic cardiomyopathy. It would be prudent to have a second cardiologist evaluate your husband and make suggestions for his future treatment.     

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated November 2012
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.