Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Can my EF improve to a higher percentage?  Should I see a cardiologist? 

My echocardiogram shows concentric LVH, EF 55% and everything else is normal. I am 64 and if I take good care of myself, lose weight, exercise daily, avoid salt, and take my BP pills, including an extra one my doctor prescribed per my doctor's recommendations, can the EF improve to a higher percentage or not?  The other question is, if I am seeing my doctor, not a cardiologist, do you recommend me to see a cardiologist? Thank you.

submitted by Elsa from Miami, Florida on 9/22/2012


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Roberto Lufschanowski, MD  

Roberto Lufschanowski, MDDear Elsa: The EF [ejection fraction] of 55% is normal. You do not need to improve it.  In general, your primary doctor seems sufficient. Sincerely.  

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated September 2012
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.