Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


How will an enlarged right heart and stiffness affect my overall health and fitness? 

I am a active normal weight woman in her thirty's. I have been told I have an enlarged right side of heart and I have stiffness in the heart. And I have been told my heart pumps at near 60%. I am a runner so I am in good overall health. What should my cardiologist be telling me could be the problem and how will this change my running?

submitted by Suzanne from Kentucky  on 7/2/2012


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Scott R. Sherron, MD  Scott R. Sherron, MD

The degree of workup would depend on the presence of symptoms and the amount of enlargement and especially on the pressures estimated for the right side of the heart. 60% is a normal value for ejection fraction -- the amount of blood pumped out with each beat relative to the total amount in the heart when full -- and that is a good sign.  The differential diagnosis includes pulmonary hypertension which could be from blood clots to the lung, from underlying lung disease, or a primary abnormality of the blood vessels in the lung. Mild right sided enlargement may also be a normal variant and is somewhat more common in athletes. Stiffness of the heart muscle, presumably of the left ventricle, can be from many causes including high blood pressure, valve problems, or rarely from infiltrative diseases of the heart muscle, but also can be a benign finding if mild and asymptomatic and not progressive. I'm sorry not to be more specific, but much depends on the details of your echo findings.
I hope this is helpful.  I trained in Lexington, KY and could refer you to some experts at the University of Kentucky if you wish. Sincerely.

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated July 2012
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.