Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


Should my surgery be done by a general surgeon or a heart surgeon?

I have PAD in my leg.  They are sending me to a general surgeon.  Is this a normal procedure, or should it be done by a heart surgeon? Thank you. 

submitted by Ascension from Seguin, Texas on 8/22/2011


by Texas Heart Institute cardiovascular surgeon, Denton A. Cooley, MD    

Denton A. Cooley, MDThe definition of a 'general surgeon' in your particular request is unclear. Some general surgeons are familiar with surgical procedures for peripheral arterial disease (PAD).  Others by training are certified as vascular surgeons.  Your decision regarding a surgeon should depend upon how experienced the general surgeon may be in vascular surgical procedures.    

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?

Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.