Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


As a young woman with cardiomyopathy, should I worry about my EF and how often should I see my doctor?

I had stage 4 Hodgkins disease in 2002 at age 26. I received ABVD treatment. My doctor gave me the go ahead to have a baby and in 2007 I did. I did have a few problems during delivery. When my baby was 7 weeks old I thought I was having a heart attack. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and an EF of 32-34%, I think. My doctor said it was most likely due to cancer treatments. My EF as of last test was in the 50's. If I continue my Coreg and Vasotec, should I ever have to worry and how often should I see a doctor? My doctor said these would be lifelong medications. How serious was 32-34%?

submitted by Heather from Dante, Virginia on 7/10/2011


by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Patrick J. Cook, MD  

Patrick J. Cook, MDYou should see your cardiologist at the intervals he/she thinks are appropriate. 32-34% is a severe decrease in heart pumping function; "the 50's" not so much.  

See also on this site:  

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

To search for a doctor or access St. Luke's physician referral service, use the "Find a Doctor" link at the top of this page.

Updated July 2011
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.