Search our website Find job opportunies at THI and St. Luke's Find a doctor location and contact information
Heart Information Center
Ask a Heart Doctor
  Back to previous page


Help us improve this service.

Your feedback will help guide us in developing this site.

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor 
Informed patients make better patients.


What is the difference between an internist and a cardiologist?

submitted by Marilyn from Morden, Manitoba, Canada on 7/09/10

Ask a Texas Heart Institute Doctor illustrationAnswer:

by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Domingo Gonzalez, MD

An internist is a doctor who does a three year residency in internal medicine which covers general medicine from allergy to cancer to cardiology, gastrointestinal etc. A cardiologist goes on after the three year internal medicine residency to complete another three to six years of additional training in the internal medicine subspecialty of cardiovascular medicine, and they deal primarily with cardiovascular diseases.       

See also on this site: 

Has your question or a similar one already been answered?
Search all the Heart Doctor questions and answers.

Heart Information Center services are made possible in part by a generous gift from the Hamill Foundation.

Updated July 2010
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to us on YouTube Find Us on Flicikr Follow Us on Pinterest Add us on Google+ Find us on LinkedIn 

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© Copyright Texas Heart Institute
All rights reserved.